PAM Service Name Patch

Andrew Morgan morgan at transmeta.com
Sat Feb 24 05:20:27 EST 2001

Other ways of achieving the same ends:

Before leaving Sun, Vipin (one of the original PAM RFC authors) proposed
a more elaborate method for specifying the configuration syntax in the
PAM configuration file(s). The Linux-PAM implementation supports this
syntax. It allows for authentication trees like this:

  pam_listfile 'succeed if the PAM_USER is on this list'
  `-failure
       `-pam_unix
  `-success
       `-pam_otp

The trees can get quite elaborate, and can involve forward jumps to
support switch/case types of branching.

Additionally, there is the pam_stack.so idea that the Redhat folk ship
with their repackaging of the Linux-PAM distribution. One might imagine
writing a module of this sort that could conditionally invoke different
service names depending on context (username/remote host etc.).

Cheers

Andrew