PAM Service Name Patch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Feb 24 12:50:22 EST 2001

Christer Bernerus wrote:

> What I, as a sysadmin would like to see is the possibility of not only
> having different service names for different programs, but also have them
> different depending on authentication method.
>
> One reason for this is that I would like to control who logs on to which
> machine, and *how*. Using passwords and using e.g. kerberos or AFS ticket
> transfers have results in different security exposures in the light of
> trojan horses, or user population on the machines.
>
> Consider the situation of university teachers logging in to student machines.
> In that case, we wouldn't like them to give their passwords, regardless of
> whether the passwords are encrypted in transfer or not. However doing Kerb5
> ticket transfers probably is a different story since these tickets have
> time limits on their validity, something that passwords generally don't have,
> or at least have much longer validity.
>
> If there were an OTP password authentication method, there would be yet another
> method that would represent a different security risk, and could call for
> another policy vs who may log on. PAM is a good framework that not only can
> be used for selecting authentication policies, but also can be used for
> controlling authorization policy, regardless of the method of authentication.
>
> One way of enabling that kind of authz policy-making is to have different
> PAM service names for different authn-methods.
>
> Please forgive me if this have been discussed before. I'm new to this list.
> In that case, I'd be interested looking at som archived mail if available.
>
> Chris.
>
> <bernerus at cs.chalmers.se>

I may be misunderstanding your situation - but this looks like a client
rather than a server issue:  Do you administer your student machines?
The ssh client can be quite easily configured as to what degree it will
trust various servers - but if you don't trust the server its not really
worth hoping it will keep a sign up "I'm not to be trusted" after its
been rooted/reconfigured.

Certainly having a more flexible pam framework might be useful - i.e.
with OTP actually in PAM or with a different PAM configuration depending
on the client's name.  For the vast majority of users the existing setup
actually works surprisingly well.

Just make sure your doing it for the right reasons,

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au