NeXT 3.3 vs openssh-2.5.1p1 (Couldn't restore privileges)

Jack Bryans jbryans at csulb.edu
Sun Feb 25 09:26:39 EST 2001

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org writes:

> First off.. Don't use -posix.  I've spent 7 months of my life replacing
> broken posix functions in NeXT.  You may get it to compile with -posix,
> but it's not going to work right.

Openssh-2.3.0p1's ssh, scp, and sshd worked OK for me.  Not exhaustively
tested, but routine use showed no problems.

> Secondly, why are you attempting to link to bind directly?  What is wrong
> with using the native resolving libraries?

1.  They're really ancient, maybe BSD 4.2 even.
2.  Yeah, -posix used to give me fits 'til I ported BIND V8 to NeXT.  Since
    then -posix's been no problem.  Most likely the compatability includes
    and library modules fixed up NeXT's posix weirdness.
3.  The -posix and -lbind combo picked up a slew of HAVEs at configure time.

> > An archive search shows others have the same problem.  Haven't seen a
> > diagnosis or patch yet.
> >
> I'm going to attempt to look at this today.  I've just been overwelmed
> recently. =)

Never happens here, he lied unconvincingly. :-)

> Originally the seteuid code was not there.  It was added to ensure that if
> any bad information was in the prng file that it could not be used to
> compromise the ssh client.
>
> So it's up to you if you wish to comment it out.

OK, thanks.  I'll put it back like 2.3.0.

Jack