NeXT 3.3 vs openssh-2.5.1p1 (Couldn't restore privileges)

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sun Feb 25 11:14:07 EST 2001

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Jack Bryans wrote:

> mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org writes:
>
> > First off.. Don't use -posix.  I've spent 7 months of my life replacing
> > broken posix functions in NeXT.  You may get it to compile with -posix,
> > but it's not going to work right.
>
> Openssh-2.3.0p1's ssh, scp, and sshd worked OK for me.  Not exhaustively
> tested, but routine use showed no problems.

It may work for 3.3, but libposix.a itself has a lot of minor bugs, and
the library itself is totally broken under 4.2.  I was able to run with
-posix under 3.3 for almost 2 months before noticing odd occurances.

> > Secondly, why are you attempting to link to bind directly?  What is wrong
> > with using the native resolving libraries?
>
> 1.  They're really ancient, maybe BSD 4.2 even.

I don't get this argument.  DNS resolution has not changed for a long
time, and I've not ran into any problems using the native resolver in over
a year worth of testing.

If you compile without -lbind or -posix it compiles pretty cleanly without
any changes.

- Ben