subject: ssh non-intuitive logging setting. (priority names)

Ishikawa ishikawa at yk.rim.or.jp
Sun Jan 7 00:39:27 EST 2001

Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 09:08:50AM +0900, Ishikawa wrote:
> > Hi, thank you for the clarification.
>
> i think this patch would help.
> additionaly we should rename
>         SYSLOG_LEVEL_INFO to SYSLOG_LEVEL_NOTICE
>
> this would be more appropriate?
>
> comments?
> commit?

Thank you for the patch. Too bad,
Monday is a Japanese national holiday and so my own
check will have to wait until next week.

On visual inspection, though, the patch at least seems to lessen
the confusion somewhat.
I missed realizing the log-server.c code mentioned
in the patch and this part certainly seems to be
the core of the problem some experienced.

Also, the renaming of
SYSLOG_LEVEL_INFO to SYSLOG_LEVEL_NOTICE
should lessen the mental barrier in
understanding the code by someone who
are familiar with the UNIX-style syslog priority scheme.
(Less confusion, that is.)

But, in the meantime,  I am also interested in learning what others
think
about these syslog message issues myself.

One thing I noticed after obtaining the log messages from
openssh is that data-fellows ssh 1.x daemon put the
priority level in the
log message like "log:" or "fatail:" (after the hostname [pid], and
before the
main text)
whereas openssh didn't.
(Is it possible that the patch proposed put such info into the log?
Well, maybe we need txt="notice", etc..)
This subtle difference caused me to rewrite an awk script to
produce  log sumary, but it is again a minor issue since
nobody seems to have raised the issue before.

Thank you again for your contribution.

Cheers.

ishikawa