openSSH: configure ciphers.

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Jan 9 10:12:27 EST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Sunil K. Vallamkonda wrote:
> I see that:
> SSH uses the following ciphers for encryption:
>  Cipher           SSH1        SSH2
>  DES              yes         no
>  3DES             yes         yes
>  IDEA             yes         no
>  Blowfish         yes         yes
>  Twofish          no          yes
>  Arcfour          no          yes
>  Cast128-cbc      no          yes

Your list is a based on ssh by ssh communications, I assume.

There has never been Idea in OpenSSH due to patents.  Recent versions of
SSHv2 also support AES aka Rijndael for SSHv2.

DES is just there for SSHv1 compability with certain SSH-enabled routers.
Because of it's insufficient length, it has been disabled elsewhere.

There are no compile-time configuration options to toggle these on and
off.  You can specify which to use at run time or in configuration using
'Cipher' and 'Ciphers'.

--
Pekka Savola                  "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                    not those you stumble over and fall"