openSSH: configure ciphers.

Sunil K. Vallamkonda sunil at redback.com
Tue Jan 9 10:32:23 EST 2001

<..clipped..>

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:

> >  IDEA             yes         no
> >  Blowfish         yes         yes
> >  Twofish          no          yes
> >  Arcfour          no          yes
> >  Cast128-cbc      no          yes
>
> Your list is a based on ssh by ssh communications, I assume.

^^^^^^^

thank you for your email.
Yes, I got this list from ssh communications.
Question is: Is there a similar list for openSSH ?

> There has never been Idea in OpenSSH due to patents.  Recent versions of
> SSHv2 also support AES aka Rijndael for SSHv2.
>
> DES is just there for SSHv1 compability with certain SSH-enabled routers.
> Because of it's insufficient length, it has been disabled elsewhere.
>
> There are no compile-time configuration options to toggle these on and
> off.  You can specify which to use at run time or in configuration using
> 'Cipher' and 'Ciphers'.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Does it mean at server side there is no compile-time/run-time
option to specify list of ciphers to accept from a client ?

I find that in SSH Transport Layer Protocol doc:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-transport-08.txt:

  3des-cbc         REQUIRED          three-key 3DES in CBC mode
  blowfish-cbc     RECOMMENDED       Blowfish in CBC mode
  twofish-cbc      RECOMMENDED       Twofish in CBC mode
  aes256-cbc       RECOMMENDED       AES (Rijndael) in CBC mode,
                                     with 256-bit key
  aes192-cbc       OPTIONAL          AES with 192-bit key
  <..clipped..>

Is this for SSH1 and SSH2 ?
Does RECOMMENDED mean "MUST" ?

Thank you.