Result: X11-Forwarding for Reliant UNIX (formerly SINIX)

Bladt Norbert Norbert.Bladt at adi.ch
Tue Jan 9 18:40:33 EST 2001

Hi !

I promised to report the result to the list.
Here it is:

Damien Miller [SMTP:djm at mindrot.org] wrote yesterday on his keyboard:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Bladt Norbert wrote:

[...]
>> During the last week I did some investigations why the X11 forwarding
>> on Reliant UNIX Versions 5.44 and 5.45 does not work out of the box
>> with OpenSSH-2.3.0p1.
>>
>> The result fo my investigation is:

>>    3. All standard X-applications try to determine whether
>> 	they are running locally, i.e. if the DISPLAY on
>> 	computer HOSTX is HOSTX:10.0 the X-applications detect
>> 	that this is the local computer and try to open the
>> 	named pipe mentioned above.
>> 	If I change the DISPLAY to be "IP-Address-of-HOSTX":10.0
>> 	than X-forwarding works fine !

> Can you try setting the "--with-ipaddr-display" option to configure?
> Does this fix the problem? If so I will make it the default for Reliant
> Unix.
It does not fix the problem really but it is a reasonable work-around
which is sufficient for the standard X11-applications like xterm, xeyes,
etc.
So I think it is a good idea to turn that on for Reliant UNIX.
The host has been detected as "mips-sni-sysv4"

It still can't work with the System Management tool TransView.
This application tries hard to figure out whether it is running
on the local host and opens the communication to the
local name piped /tmp/.X11-unix/Xn
(n being the DISPLAY number) instead of the TCP-port 6000+n.

I am still thinking that opening and creating the named pipe in
/tmp/.X11unix
is the real and final fix.

Norbert.

--