Bug/feature: Slackware + openssh 2.1 does not work

vovic vovic at cs.msu.su
Fri Jan 12 07:08:20 EST 2001

Hello.
I've tried to install openssh to my Linux Slackware boxes, but it works
only for connecting to other hosts.
The bug is in the auth-passwd.c of pppd. Slackware has it's own (or just
an another) version of shadow package (if I've understood the
problem correctly) with it's own password encryption manner.
I do not use stuff like Kerberos, PAM etc.
As a result, the line
encrypted_password=crypt(password,salt);
creates an encrypted password that is different than the stored in
/etc/shadow .
I do not know the password encryption used in Slackware, but ssh (not
OpenSSH) works fine.
So, it is advisable for auth-passwd.c maintainer to connect to Slackware
developers or to look to the ssh distribution in order to fix this.
Unfortunally, my time for this problem solving has exhausted, and I cannot
do this myself :( .
Yours, Voznesensky Vladimir, Moscow, Russia.