Bug/feature: Slackware + openssh 2.1 does not work

Devon Bleak devon at admin2.gisnetworks.com
Fri Jan 12 07:25:22 EST 2001

hello,

i run slackware 7.x on more than a few machines, all of which have had
openssh 2.1.0 up to 2.3.0 installed on them and working fine.  check
your /etc/shadow file format.  if the encrypted passwords start with
$1$, then you'll need to give the configure script the
--with-md5-passwords switch.  if they don't, then you'll have to omit
that switch.  openssh doesn't use the crypt function from libcrypt (part
of glibc), it uses its own, which is why you have to tell it
explicitly.  the glibc crypt has built-in functionality to detect md5
passwords (based on the $1$ at the beginning of the string).

devon