openssh 2.3.0p1 doesn't show fingerprints

Noam Sturmwind ns at canada.com
Mon Jan 15 04:54:52 EST 2001

> openssh will show the fingerprint and ask (yes/no) if the
> host key is unknown (if StrictHostKeyChecking is set to ask,
> of course).

> the default is
> 	StrictHostKeyChecking ask
> and this should be ok for less advanced users.

This is interesting... on my build (precompiled Mandrake cooker,
openssh-2.3.0p1-7.3mdk) the default is StrictHostKeyChecking no. man
ssh(1) says for StrictHostKeyChecking, "The argument must be ``yes'' or
``no''." No mention of an 'ask' setting anywhere I can find, though it
does work if I set it to ask. Thanks for the help.

Noam Sturmwind