PAM error on openssh-2.3.0p1/HP-UX

Kevin Steves stevesk at sweden.hp.com
Tue Jan 16 03:31:22 EST 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Stephan Hendl wrote:
: I try to login from a Linux Box with ssh-1.2.27 to an HP-UX Server
: with openssh-2.3.0p1 using PAM. After a couple of login the HP-UX
: disables my account with the error message: Too many unsuccesful
: logins. It seems to me - and the logfile says it too - that the
: first attemt to authenticate myself via Password fails and the
: second attempt via rsa-key works. Now the counter of unsuccesful
: logins is added by one and after 5 logins I am disabled.
:
: I use the ssh-agent technology with rsa-keys. The required PAM-Patch
: is installed. What shell I do?

the logs indicate it tries password auth, then rsa.  i'm not sure how to
get the client to do that, with proto 1 at least.

: The second problem is that at the end of a session some PAM related
: file could not be deleted. See logfile below.

that can be ignored.  we might look into suppressing it.