SCO Open Server 3 (SCO report)

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sat Jan 27 14:26:26 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Aran Cox wrote:

[..]
> If I don't do that I get:
> checking for PRNGD/EGD socket... ./configure: test: argument expected

This has been brought up once.  It's choking on "if test -S
$egdsock; then".

The test verifies that it's detecting a Socket.  And it seems that SCO is
missing -S... (Hmm.. I should check NeXT it may also lack a -S)  I
understand why -S was selected, but I don't know how many older platforms
support -S without GNUaifying them.

I hate to change it to -e  ..  Only other option I see is doing a
"test ! -f $egdsock" .. At least would at least get us close to
what we want.  Assuming -f is portable and I believe it is.

[..]
> Anyway, on to the USE_PIPE question.  A while back I had a problem
> with 2.1.1 and later editions where commands run remotely would die like so:
>
> ssh -n -l root tignam3b ls
> Received disconnect: Command terminated on signal 13.
>
> I don't recall the details but I found that defining USE_PIPES cleared
> up that issue.  Now it seems that the configure section for sco has been
> broken out into sco3.2v4 and sco3.2v5 and v4 has USE_PIPES defined
> and v5 doesn't.  I don't have the previous problem with commands
> terminating on signal 13, nor do they seem to be hanging, in fact
> everything appears to be just fine.  Can anyone explain what has
> changed in this regard and why?

I have not paying too much heed to SCO until recently (mainly
because I don't run it =).   Tim, is there any reason why USE_PIPES is not
defined for sco3.2v5?  Or should I add it in?

On the topic of SCO.  Can someone please explain the use
of "-Dftruncate=chsize"?  I can't find a manpage on any platform for
chsize().  And I'm interested in why it was not handled in bsd-misc.c.

- Ben