SCO Open Server 3 (SCO report)

Aran Cox acox at cv.telegroup.com
Sat Jan 27 11:54:03 EST 2001

I have a few problems with the Jan26 snapshot on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5
using SCO's development environment (not gcc.)

In order for configure to finish I had to add --without-egd-pool.

If I don't do that I get:
checking for PRNGD/EGD socket... ./configure: test: argument expected

just before configure gives up.  I'm not sure which test is dying
and config.log reveals nothing.

For the record I config/compile with;

export CCFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include'
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-rsh=/usr/bin/rcmd \
--exec-prefix=/usr --without-egd-pool

configure reports this at the end:
OpenSSH configured has been configured with the following options.
                 User binaries: /usr/bin
                 User binaries: /usr/bin
               System binaries: /usr/sbin
           Configuration files: /etc/ssh
               Askpass program: /usr/libexec/ssh-askpass
                  Manual pages: /usr/local/man/catX
                      PID file: /etc/ssh
      Random number collection: Builtin (timeout 200)
                Manpage format: cat
                   PAM support: no
            KerberosIV support: no
                   AFS support: no
                 S/KEY support: no
          TCP Wrappers support: no
          MD5 password support: no
   IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
      Use IPv4 by default hack: no
       Translate v4 in v6 hack: no

              Host: i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.5
          Compiler: cc
    Compiler flags: -g
Preprocessor flags:  -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include
      Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
         Libraries: -lz -lsocket  -lprot -lx -ltinfo -lm -lgen -lcrypto

WARNING: you are using the builtin random number collection service.
Please read WARNING.RNG and request that your OS vendor includes
/dev/random in future versions of their OS.

sftp-server will be disabled.  Your compiler does not support
64bit integers.

Anyway, on to the USE_PIPE question.  A while back I had a problem
with 2.1.1 and later editions where commands run remotely would die like so:

ssh -n -l root tignam3b ls
Received disconnect: Command terminated on signal 13.

I don't recall the details but I found that defining USE_PIPES cleared
up that issue.  Now it seems that the configure section for sco has been
broken out into sco3.2v4 and sco3.2v5 and v4 has USE_PIPES defined
and v5 doesn't.  I don't have the previous problem with commands
terminating on signal 13, nor do they seem to be hanging, in fact
everything appears to be just fine.  Can anyone explain what has
changed in this regard and why?

I'll try to do a little more testing this weekend or next week and
let you know.