using rhosts on AIX

darcy w. christ darcy at elegant.com
Wed Jan 24 08:05:44 EST 2001

Hi,

  i'm trying to use rhosts with RSA to allow me to run commands as
root.  My AIX system is setup to not allow remote logins using the file
/etc/security/user.  On my other systems, i can use rsh to run commands,
but i cannot login.  When i try the same with ssh, it does not work.
i'm not really sure what i should be seeing in the debug output.  To me,
it doesn't even look like it is checking my rhosts file.  Any thoughts
on matter would be greatly appreciated.

debug1: userauth-request for user root service ssh-connection method
none
debug1: attempt #1
Login restricted for root: Remote logins are not allowed for this
account.
input_userauth_request: illegal user root
Failed none for NOUSER from 10.133.33.26 port 1022 ssh2
debug1: userauth-request for user root service ssh-connection method
publickey
debug1: attempt #2
Failed publickey for NOUSER from 10.133.33.26 port 1022 ssh2

--
~darcy w. christ
Elegant Communications Inc.