[patch] VPN enhancements

Matthew Vernon matthew at debian.org
Mon Jul 23 00:00:24 EST 2001

Markus Friedl <Markus.Friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:56:38PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > +void alarm_catch (int signum)
> > +{
> > +        if(signum!=SIGALRM) return;
> > +	else fatal("ssh_exchange_identification: Timeout waiting for version information.");
> > +}
>
> please not alarm() and signal handling.
> signals should not be used at all.

Why on earth not? You'll notice that this patch is very careful to
avoid doing bad things (or careless things) with signals.

> connect timeouts will be supported soon using select()
> and async connects().

It's not clear how this would help in this case. Unless you're saying
that the socket will be O_NONBLOCK at this stage (which would be a
change to current behaviour)?

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."