rsa_public_encrypt() exponent too small or not odd

CARLSON,MATTHEW (Non-HP-Cupertino,ex1) matthew_carlson at non.hp.com
Fri Mar 2 07:14:44 EST 2001

After a very late night I have some info for this.

I had installed openssl in an initial directory tree.

/opt/ims/include
/opt/ims/bin
/opt/ims/ssl

I then installed it in its own tree and deleted the initial trees.
/opt/ims/openssl/0.9.6

I forgot to delete
/opt/ims/include/openssl

Now I am not quite sure if there was a possible version overwrite of 0.9.6
on top of 0.9.5a in /opt/ims/include/openssl since 0.9.5a was installed in
there before.

After deleting the /opt/ims/include/openssl tree and just using
/opt/ims/openssl/0.9.6 then recompiling OpenSSH it worked fine.

If you could point out in the fact that rsa problems like this may be in
fact caused by the OpenSSL build or include files it would be very helpful.

Matthew Carlson