Sftp client improvements

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Mar 3 17:17:00 EST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Rachit Siamwalla wrote:
>

> > Hmm, i wonder if it would be just better to integrate a full featured
> > open FTP client in and plug it into an openssh backend / networking
> > layer rather than the openssh team implementing it themselves.
> >
> The framework is in place.  There is a globing patch floating around and
> when libedit is supported a lot of the complaints about sftp will
> disappear.
>
> I personally don't know if it's worth throwing it away just to try and
> shoehorn an existing ftp client.  I think we are better off adding to the
> current framework.

That being said - I have tried to make it easy for other to implement
clients using the sftp code. Most of the client-side protocol stuff is
in sftp-client.[ch] and there is a fair bit of reusable infrastructure in
sftp.c.

If you think that adaping an existing FTP client would be more productive
then please go ahead! Bear in mind that we won't be able to integrate it
unless it is BSD licensed. Teaching the OpenBSD commandline ftp client
SFTP may be a productive course of action. A GUI client might also be
nice.

-d