RFE: Portable OpenSSH

Peter Bray peter_darren_bray at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 00:31:54 EST 2001

For a future release of Portable OpenSSH, it would be nice to have a
./configure option to enable the binaries produced, to be statically
linked.

I tried using LDFLAGS option to ./configure .... but this passes
arguments to gcc not ld, this should be documented.

Additionally, I feel that ./configure should --extra-inc=dir and
--extra-lib=dir to add paths to compile (-I) and link lines (-L & -R).
Also I noticed that -I/usr/local/include  and  -L/usr/local/lib
-R/usr/local/lib  are included in the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS when
these directories do not even exist (on my system).

Thanks for a great tool,
Peter

PS: If your wondering who all this came up: To install kde-2.1
(on solaris 8 intel) I needed to recompile nearly all of my libs
to be dynamic linked - no problem - but then the next version of
OpenSSH I installed does not run due to a missing run-time library
path (ie no -R dir specified during linking). I fixed that, no
real drama, but I like the idea of OpenSSH being statically linked
and not dependant on other modules (packages).

PPS: Maybe use of libtool would increase portability - just a thought,
I was looking into it last week and it seems cool, but the biggy now
is to learn to use AutoMake and AutoConf :-) So I can submit configure
patches not just code ones :-)