RFE: Portable OpenSSH

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Mar 27 08:32:13 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Darren Moffat wrote:

> >For a future release of Portable OpenSSH, it would be nice to have a
> >./configure option to enable the binaries produced, to be statically
> >linked.
>
> Please don't do this, static linking is evil and I really wish it
> wasn't supported anymore, see the following list of reasons why:

For as evil as static linking is.  There are good reasons for it.  Static
linking should be an option, but not default.  On some platforms OpenSSH
only does static linking.  Older Solaris 2.5.1 platforms are this way.

Besides.. I don't expect dynamicly linked binaries to work from Solaris
2.5.1 to Solaris 8. =)  That is an unreasonable request.  Library
developers do break binary API between release..  Heck OpenSSL has not
had a single stable binary API period.  And updating your OpenSSL version
tends to break OpenSSH.

<shrug>  Don't want it.. don't use it.

- Ben