RFE: Portable OpenSSH

Peter Bray peter_darren_bray at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 09:29:45 EST 2001

--- Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com> wrote: >
> >For a future release of Portable OpenSSH, it would be nice to have a
> >./configure option to enable the binaries produced, to be statically
> >linked.
>
> Please don't do this, static linking is evil and I really wish it
> wasn't supported anymore, see the following list of reasons why:
>
> Issues with static linking
> --------------------------

Darren,

	I agree totally with respect to vendor provided libraries, but
third party libraries should be able to be statically linked in, so
that
you dont have to have libpcre.so, libssl.so, ... on each system, in
exactly the same place. I'm thanking of constructing portable sysadmin
toolkits (CD/Floppy) plus independence of third party libraries when
they are upgraded, etc

	But in general you are correct - esp WRT to vendor libraries.
But do thirdparty libraries need to follow this rigour or reasoning ?

Peter

PS: Is it possible to change a Solaris RunTime Library location ( ie-R
option) after the executable has been created ?