RFE: Portable OpenSSH

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Tue Mar 27 08:54:36 EST 2001

>Besides.. I don't expect dynamicly linked binaries to work from Solaris
>2.5.1 to Solaris 8. =)  That is an unreasonable request.  Library

Acutally it isn't that unreasonable (many of our customers expect it
and we work very hard to live up to it) and if you only use the published
APIs it should work.  In fact it is stronger than that Sun has a
guarantee that it will, more details at:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/programs/guarantee/

The other thing to note is that there are no static libraries in Solaris
for 64bit and no static libraries for anything that joins Solaris after
Solaris 8.

>developers do break binary API between release..  Heck OpenSSL has not

Sun tries not to with our libraries and where we do it is often because
the part of the API the user was dependant on wasn't public or we made
and annoucement that it was going away.  A lot of work has been done
to our libraries recently to make sure the scope of stuff in them
is very clearly marked and stuff that is private really is private.

As long as static linking isn' the default for Solaris and libc never
gets statically linked then I'm reasonably happy.

--
Darren J Moffat