Use of non-user readable (null password) private keys

Markus Friedl Markus.Friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Mar 27 23:37:50 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 02:11:08PM +0100, Piete Brooks wrote:
> Executive summary: Why can I not have a private key which is `public' ?

is this a good idea?

> Is this bug intended as a feature ?   [ :-) ]

feature.

many ppl are confused by private/public distinction
and are starting to change permissions for all kind
of files. however it's a bad idea to have the private
key group or world readable, this is why openssh ignore
the key. perhaps we should allow group-readable private keys?

but i really don't like the idea.