Use of non-user readable (null password) private keys

Christopher Linn celinn at mtu.edu
Tue Mar 27 23:56:27 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:37:50PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
[...]
> many ppl are confused by private/public distinction
> and are starting to change permissions for all kind
> of files. however it's a bad idea to have the private
> key group or world readable, this is why openssh ignore
> the key. perhaps we should allow group-readable private keys?

NO NO NO!

this is like saying "it is OK to share your password with your
friends"...  do you give out copies of your house and car keys
to a dozen of your friends?!?

> but i really don't like the idea.

good  ;*)

chris

--
Christopher Linn, <celinn at mtu.edu>    | By no means shall either the CEC
Staff System Administrator            | or MTU be held in any way liable