RFE: Portable OpenSSH

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Wed Mar 28 04:25:43 EST 2001

>now i must ask, especially since we have someone from sun engineering
>paying attention to OpenSSH (hi Darren!), just why the most beautifully
>engineered kernel archetecture (solaris) does not yet have a
>cryptographic-grade random device?!?  the /dev/random supplied with

I can't comment officially but I'm sure you won't be dissapointed in the
future ;-)

The /dev/random that comes with the iPlanet stuff I believe is the
cryptorandd implmenation from the SUNWski package, I'm not sure of its
quality but I have heard reporsts that PRNGd is better but an in kernel
/dev/random (and /dev/urandom for that matter) is much more likely to
give better randomness.

--
Darren J Moffat