OSSH 2.5.2p2: Why is /usr/local/ put into the include & lib paths under Solaris?

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Wed Mar 28 12:53:56 EST 2001

I'd like to know why /usr/local/(include|lib) is added to the
(include|library) path. I'd _especially_ like to know why it's added before
user-specified library directories such as OpenSSL. If I specify
--with-openssl=/foo/openssl, I want to actually _use_ the version of
openssl in /foo/openssl, not some version that may have been installed in
/usr/local. This really makes no sense at all, since Solaris doesn't even
_have_ /usr/local by default.

Attached is a patch that gets rid of this behaviour, at least for solaris.
I suspect it's bogus on just about every platform, but I'm sure it is on
Solaris.

--
Carson