OpenSSH 2.5.2p2: Why is /usr/local/ put into the include & lib paths under Solaris?

Christopher Linn celinn at mtu.edu
Thu Mar 29 00:42:37 EST 2001

carson,

first off, please note that "OSSH" is the moniker of another
implementation of SSH:  ftp://ftp.pdc.kth.se/pub/krypto/ossh/
my first glance at your postings made me think "why is someone
discussing OSSH?  hmm..."

second off, sorry for the missing `\':

===============>          ^^^^^
> > 			--option-1 \
> > 			--option-2 \
> > 	...etc...
> >
> > when you load your env like this, configure will insert those -ahead-
> > of /usr/local, whereas if you use the --cppflags/--cflags/--ldflags
> > configure options, those are placed -after- /usr/local.
>
> So I'm expected to hack around the fact that configure is broken and
> doesn't handle --with-openssl properly? <BZZZT> Wrong answer.

you are correct, sir.  and i must say that i should never have
phrased it as though i ever actually had anything to do with it:

> > because it is so easy to dodge that already when you run ./configure.

i should have said something more like "well, OK, here's how i
hacked around that without thinking twice about it..."

i suppose if i had spent more time learning the real details about
GNU autoconf, automake, aclocal etc i might have recognized this as
a bug in this particular configure.in.  then i could have reported
this as a bug.. i should pay more attention.

i must remark that the OpenSSH configure.in is really great in that
it gives us a very nice synopsis at the end of it's run about what
it actually did when it ran.  with it, we can quickly see things
like this.

as for why /usr/local/* is forced in there all the time, again i am
just used to that from all GNU autoconf dependant stuff.  heck, GNU
virtually 0WNS /usr/local!  /usr/local on anything is always subsumed
in an utterly Borgish way by GNU software.  hell i'm waiting for RMS
to take out a patent on it and restrict what can go there!  *chuckle*

so, in closing, thnaks for pointing out the bug  ;*)

> --
> Carson

cheers,

chris

P.S. again, please call it OpenSSH, not OSSH.  thnaks  ;*D

--
Christopher Linn, <celinn at mtu.edu>    | By no means shall either the CEC
Staff System Administrator            | or MTU be held in any way liable