SSH and forced wtmp entries ...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon May 7 22:24:41 EST 2001

Randolf Skerka wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> wtmp entries are generated when loggin into a system without a command,
> e.g. "ssh -l user system". When using an additional command executed by
> ssh on the "other side", no wtmp entry will be generated. So the command
> "ssh -l user system /bin/csh" will not generate a wtmp entry but the
> user is logged in ... I have the problem right know. The users are starting
> "xterm" by ssh commandlines and I can't see a wtmp login ... not very nice.
> Is somebody working on a patch/feature? E.g. an option in sshd_config
> (forced_wtmp) would be nice.
>
> Greets
>
> Randolf

I'll second that request.

Unfortunetly its not quite as simple as it could be, as there is not
'device' to register in the utmp/wtmp databases.  You could, however
either use a simple lock-dir to grab 'devices', a simple database (this
is what samba does
http://pserver.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/smbd/session.c?only_with_tag=SAMBA_2_2
) or just somthing based on the daemon's pid.

The standard used in samba's case is 'what does ftpd do' as to what to
put in the various databases.

Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au

--