SSH connection hanging on logout

Markus Friedl Markus.Friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri May 11 08:52:45 EST 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 05:29:40PM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> > hermione/home/jason-634: date ; ssh localhost 'sleep 20& exit' ; date
> > Thu May 10 15:01:54 PDT 2001
> > Thu May 10 15:02:14 PDT 2001
> >

> Is this really a valid test?

no

> This hangs for 20 seconds under OpenBSD
> also, but this is not what we are refering to.  SSH into your FreeBSD box
> using an interactive shell then do: sleep 20&exit

please, could someone with a system where:
	$ ssh -t host
	% sleep 1234 &
	% exit
	$
hangs with openssh try whether rlogin hangs, too?

if rlogin does not hang, could you please check the source of rlogin
and try to figure out how it handles the filedescriptors that connect
rlogind to the shell. what happes with the filedescriptors after the
shell dies?

thanks, -m