Open SSL connection to HTTPS?

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Nov 1 02:40:06 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Ciaran Deignan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just tried to test my web server with telnet. The only problem
> was that my web server refuses non-encrypted connections (duh!).
>
> I know that SSL and SSH are *entirely* different, but ssh is
> the only commonly-available encryption-enabled command-line tool
> around. It would be greate to have an SSL-emulation mode in
> OpenSSH....

If you have openssl (which you do have if you have openssh) then
you should have the openssl command. Try:

$ openssl s_client -connect www.server.somewhere:https

and after that RTFM.

And then there is stunnel, which does SSL tunneling. Both can be used
from command line and do their job well.

It might be good if openssh could use X.509 sertificates, but other than
that I see no point in introducing SSL to openssh.

- Jani