Slow connection performance with ssh2

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Nov 5 08:49:45 EST 2001

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> It would be intersting to benchmark SSH Corp and vshell on slow boxes to
> see where we stand, but I suspect they will be the same or we will be
> slightly faster. (We do have the best crypto people in OpenBSD, right
> Theo? =)

We will be slower than some other implementations because we support
draft-ietf-secsh-dh-group-exchange-01.txt, which requires a fair bit
of computation.

You can trade connect speed for security by disabling this - delete
or rename $sysconfdir/{primes,moduli}

Using RSA keys for SSH2 authentication helps too.

-d