Unkerberized NFS

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 7 09:06:33 EST 2001

Ed Phillips wrote:

> How common is the /etc/publickey in various OSes?  I was thinking that for
> our site, it might be nice to access public keys using PAM/LDAP.  On
> Solaris, theoretically, sshd could call getpublickey().  It puts another
> constraint on login (the LDAP server has to be available), but chances
> are, if you're using LDAP, and the LDAP server is down, the Solaris system
> can get at /etc/passwd, et. al., stuff either through LDAP, so you'd get a
> cached version if available in nscd.

PAM has nothing to do with this, you mean NSS (nsswitch.conf and the nss
modules).

Any system that has got ONC/ONC+ from Sun or has implemented NIS+ from
scratch would have them.

However I would strongly discourage you using getpublickey since it was
not intended to store keys other than those for the AUTH_DH mechanisms
of RPC.

--
Darren J Moffat