Unkerberized NFS

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Wed Nov 7 09:35:53 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Darren J Moffat wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:06:33 -0800
> From: Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed at UDel.Edu>
> Cc: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: Re: Unkerberized NFS
>

> Ed Phillips wrote:
>
> > How common is the /etc/publickey in various OSes?  I was thinking that for
> > our site, it might be nice to access public keys using PAM/LDAP.  On
> > Solaris, theoretically, sshd could call getpublickey().  It puts another
> > constraint on login (the LDAP server has to be available), but chances
> > are, if you're using LDAP, and the LDAP server is down, the Solaris system
> > can get at /etc/passwd, et. al., stuff either through LDAP, so you'd get a
> > cached version if available in nscd.
>

> PAM has nothing to do with this, you mean NSS (nsswitch.conf and the nss
> modules).

Okay... that makes sense.

> Any system that has got ONC/ONC+ from Sun or has implemented NIS+ from
> scratch would have them.

What is ONC?

> However I would strongly discourage you using getpublickey since it was
> not intended to store keys other than those for the AUTH_DH mechanisms
> of RPC.

I was just wondering if getpublickey() was a "standard"-enough place to
get a public key from sshd.

What would be a "standard" way to have sshd lookup a public key that isn't
in the normal ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 place?  Would it just have to be
enhanced for this particular "look up public keys in LDAP" feature?

Thanks,

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key