what's the deal with openssh-3.0p1 and kerberos5?

Andreas Hasenack andreas at conectiva.com.br
Thu Nov 8 00:59:06 EST 2001

The openssh-3.0 announcement said:

(...)
3) improved Kerberos support in protocol v1 (KerbIV and KerbV)
(...)

This seems to imply at least some krb5 support, but there is nothing
new in ./configure --help about it. Grepping the source, I see many
references to #ifdef KRB5. Trying to enable it manually (a #define
in config.h) gives errors about a missing krb5_auth_con_setaddrs_from_fd,
which I really can't find anywhere in the MIT sources, and many
other missing functions.

Yes, I know about the gssapi patch at
http://www.sxw.org.uk/computing/patches/openssh.html, but it's only
available for 2.9p2 so far and the poor guy has been repeatedly asking
for it to be included in the mainstream version without success.
So, is that planned? Krb5 in openssh? Or is there something wrong with
the gssapi patches?

I have openssh-3.0p1 and krb5-1.2.2 from MIT.