Openssh 3.0p1/Solaris 8 problems still...

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Tue Nov 13 12:42:04 EST 2001

Christopher Linn wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 05:57:54PM -0500, Carson Gaspar wrote:
>

>>--On Monday, November 12, 2001 3:50 PM -0500 James M Moya
>><moyman at ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>Currently under solaris 8 with a fairly generic build:

>>>cron will quit working since ssh hasn't doesn't have auditing support
>>>just right (You will get "! cron audit problem. job failed...etc..." all
>>>through /var/cron/log **the next time a change is made** to the crontab).
>>>
>>Please be more specific. I assume you mean that there are problems when
>>invoking crontab from an ssh-spawned login shell? I can't imagine that just
>>running sshd would break cron...

If you are running BSM auditing and have logged in using sshd and use
crontab -e to update your crontab then because sshd does not properly
setup the audit id for Solaris the .au file that cron uses to set the
audit id before running the cron job will be corrupt, as a result cron
will not run these jobs.

It is a known problem, part of the problem is sshd by not having support
for setting up the BSM audit id is not a proper login service on Solaris
and part of the problem is crontab -e not noticing that the audit id
is invalid but still doing the update.