Embedded Cross-Compiling of OpenSSL & OpenSSH

David Butts dbutts at maddog.storability.com
Thu Nov 15 10:39:01 EST 2001

Hello, all-

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:45:22AM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Gordon Fischer wrote:
>
> > I'm developing a minimal embedded linux system that will be running on a
> > powerpc chip.  I can get everything to work but the size is quite large.
> >
> > The majority of my size requirements are in libcrypto.a which is around
> > 1.52 Megs
>
> These questions would probably be better asked on one of the OpenSSL
> lists.

Agreed, but, even so, it may be a moot point, if there is no need to
have libcrypto.a present on the embedded system.  The static library
is only needed to build OpenSSH.  Assuming the build is being done
elsewhere, you should be able to leave it off the OS image for the
embedded system entirely.

David