Connections suddenly closing

Jim Breton vader at conflict.net
Fri Nov 16 07:41:57 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:19:11PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> some nat-gateways have small timeouts.
>
> this is probably the cause for the problem.

Hmm, in this case I disagree, since I was running exactly the same
NAT setup with each release version of OpenSSH since at least 2.3.0
and never had this problem. :\ I have had connections open for days,
sometimes weeks, without losing them, and I regularly leave sessions
idle overnight with no issues.

> is there a period of inactivity? or does
> it happen while you type?

I was not actually typing at the time but the tin session I mentioned
was actively sending packets every few seconds (saving a bunch of tagged
messages.. and tin has an incrementing progress counter).  In fact, the
other connection I had open to the same machine (the connection that
survived) had an even longer period of inactivity than the session that
died.

I don't see anything unusual in the server logs but I will keep an eye
out for future occurrences.

--

Jim B.
vader at conflict.net