Connections suddenly closing

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Fri Nov 16 07:52:11 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Jim Breton wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:41:57 +0000
> From: Jim Breton <vader at conflict.net>
> To: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: Re: Connections suddenly closing
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:19:11PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > some nat-gateways have small timeouts.
> >
> > this is probably the cause for the problem.
>
> Hmm, in this case I disagree, since I was running exactly the same
> NAT setup with each release version of OpenSSH since at least 2.3.0
> and never had this problem. :\ I have had connections open for days,
> sometimes weeks, without losing them, and I regularly leave sessions
> idle overnight with no issues.

This is probably not your situation, but is it possible that this is an
"auto-logout" feature?  I've noticed that every since we started running
OpenSSH 2.9.9p2 (as opposed to ssh 1.2.27)  that we suddenly have this new
"auto-logout" feature. ;-)

	Ed

> > is there a period of inactivity? or does
> > it happen while you type?
>
> I was not actually typing at the time but the tin session I mentioned
> was actively sending packets every few seconds (saving a bunch of tagged
> messages.. and tin has an incrementing progress counter).  In fact, the
> other connection I had open to the same machine (the connection that
> survived) had an even longer period of inactivity than the session that
> died.
>
> I don't see anything unusual in the server logs but I will keep an eye
> out for future occurrences.
>
> --
>
> Jim B.
> vader at conflict.net

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key