ssh -2 and hostbasedauth

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Fri Nov 16 16:18:40 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to read OpenSSH's log files (to assist
> our people in diagnosing "why is it always asking me for passwords").
>
> All clients and servers are 3.0p1.
>
> First: server does not have the client's RSA2 key in known_host.

Here is what works for me on most of my platforms.

sshd_config:
HostbasedAuthentication yes

ssh_config:
Host *
  HostbasedAuthentication yes
  PreferredAuthentications publickey,hostbased,password,keyboard-interactive
  ^^^^^^ this line is no longer needed in 3.0

shosts.equiv: FQDN of all my other machines

ssh_known_hosts: public keys of all my other machines.

ssh must be suid root

Note:
SCO Opens Server 3 client wont connect to anything without password.
Connecting from other server to Open Server 3 works fine.
Solaris 7 & 8 will not connect to themselvs without password but
will connect fine to other servers.

I hope this helps.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents	(707) 887-1469