ssh -2 and hostbasedauth

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 16 20:12:41 EST 2001

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:18:40PM -0800, Tim Rice wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out how to read OpenSSH's log files (to assist
> > our people in diagnosing "why is it always asking me for passwords").
> >
> > All clients and servers are 3.0p1.
> >
> > First: server does not have the client's RSA2 key in known_host.
> >
> Here is what works for me on most of my platforms.

Thanks :-) - but I figured out that part.  What I did not understand is
"why does it say 'Accepted by .shosts'" in the ssh -v output but then goes
on asking for a password anyway?

This message is seriously misleading...  I guess it means "ok, you're in
the .shosts file, now check the key" (and it will never tell the result of
checking the key).

> Note:
> SCO Opens Server 3 client wont connect to anything without password.

I tend to disagree :-) - mine does.  Both to and from OSR 3, with 3.0p1,
as long as the host RSA keys are known.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de