unable to get connection thru firewall

Loomis, Rip GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com
Sat Nov 17 02:38:34 EST 2001

To close the loop for the list on this, the problem
was that the Solaris box running sshd did not have
a default route--so traffic worked fine on the local
subnet but *no* traffic worked correctly between the
system and other systems in other parts of the 'net.

It wasn't an SSH problem at all--and as a data point
for everyone, we've been removing the SetUID root bit
on our ssh installations for years and we've never
had a problem.  Unless you're trying to work with
RhostsAuthentication, I don't recommend turning off
--disable-suid-ssh as part of your troubleshooting
process.

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer