hang on exit - bug or no bug?

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Oct 4 10:32:21 EST 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Schieber, Dustin wrote:

> Question:  This was not an issue for us with ssh 1.2.x.  Why is it an
> issue with Openssh?   Will this ever be classified as a bug?

I haven't been able to find a sane way of avoiding the hang on exit
on Linux or Solaris. OpenBSD doesn't seem to have the problem - there
seem to be some differing fd semantics as work. Anyone who want to try
to fix the problem would be well advised to investigate these differing
semantics.

By 'sane', I mean a solution that won't lose data even under pathological
conditions. An avoidable hang on exit is an annoyance, data loss is
unforgivable.

-d