Patch for changing expired passwords

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Oct 16 01:48:51 EST 2001

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:36:06PM -0700, Kevin Steves wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> :I have posted this one several times and I ask that you *please* put it
> :in.  Many people have asked for this one, and Markus has done all the
> :preparatory work in the base code so changes only need to be made to the
> :portable code.  It works for all systems that use /etc/shadow, most notably
> :Solaris and Linux.
>
> as i said i august, i think much of this could be pushed to native.
> markus indicated willingness to add something for the non BSD_AUTH case
> there.

Can you please be more specific what you think can be pushed to native?  I
do remember Markus saying he'd take a look at the non BSD_AUTH case but I
didn't hear anything after that (and not being an OpenBSD user I really
don't even know what non-BSD_AUTH means).

Clearly the part in auth.c is specific to portable OpenSSH, because it uses
fields specific to /etc/shadow and modifies code that is only in portable.
Also, configure.in and acconfig.h are only in portable.  That leaves
basically the session.c change which could conceivably be used in native,
but if nothing is using it I don't think it makes sense to put it in native
yet.  I suggest putting it into portable and if the time comes that Markus
or somebody else wants to use it in native they can back-port it.  Please
don't put off the whole patch just because nobody has found the time to
address a related case on OpenBSD.  It's really a very small patch and
supplies a very much needed functionality.

- Dave Dykstra