Another round of testing calls. (redhat/openssh.spec)

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Oct 26 04:04:07 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, James Ralston wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > 3) Building appears to rely on the existance of openssl >= 0.9.6
> > (OPENSSL_free function).  Mark the requirement there.
>
> Don't say:
>
>     Requires: openssl >= 0.9.6
>
> Say:
>
>     Requires: openssl
>     Conflicts: openssl < 0.9.6
>
> The former means "this package requires openssl, and will work with
> any version of openssl from 0.9.6 on, through the rest of eternity".
> That's not what you mean.

It can be intepreted like that, sure.

I interpret it: "this package requires openssl, and will work with any
version of openssl from 0.9.6 on until further notice (that is, a new
version of openssh is released)".

Please note that in addition, openssh keeps track of the dynamic library
revision automatically.

> The latter means "this package requires openssl, but doesn't work with
> versions of openssl less than 0.9.6".  That's what you mean.

This is slightly better, but I don't see the real point; double the number
of different dependencies are required, and isn't a common practise.