Default $PATH of rsh (Was Re: What risk is X11Forward to a server?)

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at eng.sun.com
Fri Oct 26 09:10:29 EST 2001

>Traditionally the rsh command (as implemented on SysV systems such as
>hpux which is where my experience comes from) implements
>/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin, etc., the operative directory being
>/usr/local/bin.  But openssh does not.  Which means I always need to

First I wouldn't say that HPUX was a good example of SysV, second
/usr/local/bin is certainly not ever placed in the PATH under Solaris
(which is an SysV derivative in some ways).

In Solaris you can change the default PATH by either updating one of
the shell init scripts or chaning PATH in /etc/default/login to do it
in a shell independant way.

--
Darren J Moffat