Default $PATH of rsh (Was Re: What risk is X11Forward to a server?)

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Oct 26 15:02:17 EST 2001

> First I wouldn't say that HPUX was a good example of SysV, second
> /usr/local/bin is certainly not ever placed in the PATH under Solaris
> (which is an SysV derivative in some ways).

I agree hpux is a hybrid.  Which is why I mentioned it, so it would be
a clue about what I was talking about.  I did not realize that Solaris
did not do that.  AIX neither does it place /usr/local/bin in the rsh
path.

> In Solaris you can change the default PATH by either updating one of
> the shell init scripts or chaning PATH in /etc/default/login to do it
> in a shell independant way.

On AIX, PATH and other variables are set in /etc/environment.  HPUX
has /etc/PATH.  Solaris has /etc/default/login.  Hmm... Wish there was
a consistent interface to this.  And on none of those systems do I
know of an easy way to localize it for ssh since usually those are all
read at interative shell startup by /etc/profile and not on
non-interactive shell startup when ssh runs.

Bob