2 doubts

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Apr 19 10:01:59 EST 2002

Yo Jorge!

IMHO, file transfer programs should NEVER munge the contents of a file.

The "ascii" feature in ftp is probably one of the top ten all time PITA
for tech support folks.  All it does on a good day is tranlate M$DO$
line end to UNIX line end.  On any other day it just destroys everything
else.

If you really need to change M$DO$ \r\n in to UNIX \n then get a
separate program to do it.  Or use tr like this:
	tr -d '\r' < infile > outfile

Most unix also has "fromdos" and "todos" to make it even more
idiot proff.  You can also get similar programs for the M$DO$ end.

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Blvd, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676