openssh on HPUX 11i

Loveland, Matt Matt.Loveland at AGEDWARDS.com
Tue Aug 6 01:53:04 EST 2002

I'm curious as to why OpenSSH would require IPV6?

Here is the error I get when trying to SSH from an HP-UX 11i system to an
HP-UX 11.00 system.  Both systems are running OpenSSH 3.4p1.

[hhlablu3:/home/lovelanm] ssh -v -v -v -p 22 hhlablu5.tnt.agedwards.com

OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f
debug1: Reading configuration data /opt/openssh/etc/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug3: cipher ok: aes192-cbc
[aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: cipher ok: aes256-cbc
[aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: cipher ok: blowfish-cbc
[aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: cipher ok: 3des-cbc
[aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: cipher ok: aes128-cbc
[aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: ciphers ok: [aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc,aes128-cbc]
debug3: Seeding PRNG from /opt/openssh/libexec/ssh-rand-helper
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
ssh: hhlablu5.tnt.agedwards.com: host nor service provided, or not known

There don't appear to be any issues with sshd running on the 11i server.  I
can ssh/scp/sftp to it normally.

I really don't want to have to put the IPV6 package on all my boxes, so if
someone knows of a workaround, that would be great.

Thanks,
Matt Loveland
Unix Architect, NetEffects, Inc.