scp fails where ssh succeeds; buffer_get?

Alexy Khrabrov alexy.khrabrov at setup.org
Wed Aug 7 00:33:02 EST 2002

I did have a screwed up key line in authorized_keys2 at some point,
(cut and paste from a dumb xterm insetrted linebreaks, ftp'ed a real
one), which caused the server to close connection immediately.
But even removing the .ssh on the server completely continues to
show teh problem: scp asks for password, then the log message on the
server says it passed:

Aug  6 10:19:04 pdb-pc-6 sshd[30996]: Accepted password for alexy from 68.38.146.249 port 14148 ssh2

Then scp hangs indefinitely.

We use NIS on the server side, can there be any interaction of sshd with it
which is different from ssh?  What really baffles me is that ssh works
while scp and sftp hang after the password is accepted!

My hunch is it's some broken Red Hat 7.1 library.  I prefer SuSE,
but am stuck at work with that Disneyworld distro.  :-)  Any tests
I can try on client/server, any traces I can turn on anywhere?

Cheers,
Alexy