Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto

Kalyan Manchikanti akm099 at pcs.mot.com
Sat Aug 10 00:44:26 EST 2002

Markus,
I found your e-mail address in the OpenSSH mailing list. I am having a
pecuilar problem and after hours and hours of researching i am still at a
loss regarding this.
I am trying to install openssh-3.4p1 on a SUN box running Solaris8. I
installed Openssl and Zlib as mentioned by the readme and am specifying
the prefixes right by issuing the following command for configure,

./configure --with-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl/lib/ --with-zlib=/usr/l
ocal/zlib/libz.a

and inspite of numerous attempts and trying to decipher it i end up with
the dreaded message,

"configure: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see config.log
for details) **"

I did find a message in the archives which addresses this problem about
the 64 /32 bit compatibilty and use cppflags to build it  but
after using this to conifgure OpenSSH

/configure --with-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-cppflags
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl/lib/ --
with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib/libz.a

I end up with

onfigure:5389: error: *** zlib missing - please install first or check
config.log ***

PLEASE help me,

Thanks Much
Kalyan